Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Being sick is yucky!

I hate being sick. I say this like there is someone, somewhere who likes to be sick, which can't be. But in any event, that is the condition I am finding myself in as I am typing this blog. But in all things and in all places we should give thanks (1 Thessalonians 5:18), but sometimes I don't want to say thank you for my cold! Since lying to God, the omnipotent, saying "thank you" when I don't really mean it would be pointless, what am I to do?

I find I must rely on that age old adage and find the silver lining, which in certain circumstances could be like another adage of finding a needle in a haystack! I guess the silver lining for having a cold is that it sure is nice to have Mike take care of me (and he does such a great job!!); I am forced to slow down and take care of myself so that I can get better; and I love the color red for my nose! Okay, so the last one is a grim take at sarcastic humor, but the rest of it is true. I have found that I have read and slept, and drank gallons of water and chicken noodle soup. I don't feel well, but I also know that a cold will end and I will feel better and I will appreciate feeling better. Also, I know when I am getting run down and more susceptible to becoming sick, so I will attempt to be better at taking care of myself in the future.

There! How's that for giving thanks? I am thankful for my husband and daughter who take care of me, for the reminder that I am not super-human and the freedom that gives me to be human, and I am thankful that I will appreciate my health that much more when it returns.

So, after all being sick is yucky, but I have found that I can give thanks in all circumstances, even this one. What are you struggling to be thankful for?

No comments: