Monday, February 25, 2008

Decline of Faith

I read an article on CNN.com called "Survey: Americans switching faiths, dropping out." It was an interesting look at religion in America. We once thought we were a Christian nation, and 78% claim to be Christians, but this survey of 35,000 participants notes that "nearly half of American adults leaving the faith tradition of their upbringing to either switch allegiances or abandon religious affiliation altogether." You can read this article at the link at the right.

I have contemplated this exact issue. I have even lived this issue as I am no longer part of the faith tradition in which I was raised. Many people today have either been disappointed or hurt by 'the church.' How do we share God's love, when people have not felt that by God's people? I would encourage you to read this article and share your thoughts on your faith experience and how we can reach those who have "abandoned religious affiliation altogether."

1 comment:

David Mercer said...

Sonja, another good entry. I appreciated your concern for those who have left the church. I referred to you at deep-calls.net and I offered another perspective. I enjoy your writing.

David Mercer