Sunday, July 20, 2008

Weddings and Other Craziness

For those of you who listen to the weekly podcast of my sermons, there will not be one today. Rather than sermonizing this morning I listened to a concert by Jamey Denison. It was kinda nice to be able to sit in the pews this morning. You see, I had one of those busy, not-a-chance-I-could-come-up-with-a-sermon weeks.

Last Sunday was my son and new daughter-in-law's shower at my church, and my family came up to share it with us. Then this Thursday we drove to the other side of the state for his wedding. Friday we went to my sister's house to stay before my nephew's wedding. We laughed at high fuel prices this week. (Of course, it was the insanely hysterical laughter one hears when someone has gone just a tad too close to the edge.)

My son is married. I have a daughter-in-law. Wow! This takes some getting used to. Of course, we had over a year to get used to the idea, but there is something kind of odd about it actually happening.

Interestingly, I did not cry at my son's wedding (not that I am a real crier, but I thought the possibility was there.) It seemed I was too distracted, and the overall mood of my son's wedding was casual, relaxed and laid-back. Definitely not weepy stuff. Lots of laughter and a jovial atmosphere.

At my nephew's wedding however, I got a little misty. I seemed to have nothing better to do than to sit in the pew and reflect on the past 21 years. You see my son and nephew are six months apart in age and more or less grew up together. I guess the reality of my son getting married hit home when I was watching my nephew's mother getting emotional.

Of course, the issue isn't really that he is married, it is that he's a man now. Of course, he has been out on his own for sometime, but he was my baby, my first born, my son. Now he is her love, her partner, her husband. Of course, I know he will always be my son, but he is now too so much more. I wish them both much love and happiness.

My favorite picture of the happy couple.


No comments: