Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Christmas Lament

As I was looking over the General Board of Global Ministries web page for worship resources, I found a link for a song called A Christmas Lament. I found the words of the song very sad, a sad commentary on the state of our lives and our souls. The song was written by Dean McIntyre, and it is set to the tune St. Louis, which is "O Little Town of Bethlehem."
A Christmas Lament
I cannot welcome Jesus now, there isn't time enough;
with greens to hang and lights to string and other Christmas stuff.
There's gifts to buy and food to fix, and silverware to buff;
I cannot welcome Jesus now, there isn't time enough.

I have to take the children to see Santa at the mall.
There's Christmas cards to write and mail and guest lists I must call.
The garland isn't long enough, the Christmas tree's too tall!
I cannot welcome Jesus now, I just can't do it all.

The children's Christmas pageant at the church this Sunday night,
five dozen cookies to be baked, and costumes sewn just right;
the office party gift exchange, expenses out of sight.
I cannot welcome Jesus now, with time and budget tight.

The sermon says that Advent is the time I should prepare.
My datebook says it's Christmas Day, and I don't even care.
I kept so busy doing things, I never was aware,
that Jesus came unnoticed, for I had no time to spare.
I hope this speaks to you as it spoke to me. Time now to prepare for the Advent season.

3 comments:

Peter said...

This hits a chord with me because I struggle to make time for Christ during Christmas, not because Christmas season is particularly busy, but because I make so little time for Him in my life all year. To make time for Him now is like asking me to make time in my busy life for some stranger. But that is the point, isn’t it? I, for one, take this challenge to prepare during Advent, not only for a place for Christ during the season, but a place for Him for the entire year. I am not going to imagine, during preparation, the Holy Child arriving at midnight mass on the 25th of December. I am going to imagine a Homecoming, a reunion with a Brother and Friend, with He who is pure love. And Love does not go out of style on December 26th, nor out in the trash with all the wrappers of the trappings of the buying season.

Yellow Sun Soaps said...

Peter, Thank you for your frankness. I don't think you are alone in not making time for the Christ of Christmas all year long. I am thankful that there are particular times of the year that remind us to get back to what is important, and to ask us that question..."is Christ important to you?" Thank you for your comments. Blessings as you prepare for and reunite with Christ during this upcoming Advent season.

Anonymous said...

I also came across this on Wed., and plan to use it in my sermon on Sunday. We won't sing it, my worship leader would have a cow---but i will reference the words in my sermon. I'm even thinking about printing it on the back of the bulletin. It is very sobering!

Susan Whitley