Sunday, July 22, 2012

The World Still Turns

Based on routine regular activity this morning, I'm guessing the world continues to rotate on its axis.  I'm not a scientist in any way, but it sure seems that way.  Yet in private lives everywhere this morning it feels as if the world has stopped.  We gaze in wonderment at the traffic moving, the voices chattering, the life going on around.

In light of recent events in the news as well as personal news that I have received, we must remember that death is as surely a part of this life as birth, teething, puberty, aging, and the decline of our bodies.  Yet we always seem a little surprised, or at least I think I do.  It seems my reaction is that it just should not happen, at least not to those I love; death shouldn't cause suffering so in the human condition.  Yet, whether early or in old age, by natural causes or other causes, death will happen to everyone.  Our bodies weren't meant to last forever or to be bullet proof and can even be downright fragile.

Yet, my hope comes from the Lord who overcame the inevitability of death with life.  While in the midst of life we face death, just as surely in Christ in the midst of death we are in life.  Some people will not understand this.  It's okay.  I am not fully sure that I always get it, but I believe it. 

No comments: