Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What does it mean to be a disciple?

In preparing for my upcoming sermon, and allowing my mind to run free with ideas for other things, I ask the question:  "What does it mean to be a disciple?"  Keeping in mind that the definition of disciple is student or learner, what do you think is required by those of us who call ourselves disciples of Jesus Christ?  What do you think it means to "make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world" as the United Methodist mission statement says?  I hope you not only muse on this, but give me your thoughts, your ideas, even questions you may have.  Blessings!

1 comment:

r.g.hays said...

I like the analogy of apprenticeship, being a mix of learning and doing. I'm drawn to the mental/spiritual learning part but sometimes get satisfied there and don't carry through with action. It's hard to become an effective tradesman just by reading/hearing about it. Action leads to experiences that inform and mature our grasp of ideas, as we apply them to the real world.