Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hats Off!

Last night the ladies from our church had a "hat party" for a friend who is going through chemotherapy treatment. I thought it was a fabulous idea! Some of them have been hitting me up about having a Sunday in which we all wear hats to church. I have been trying to go through my mind on ways this applies to scripture...probably in some way other than the "helmet of salvation," although that could work....

My girls and I thought surely there would be duplicates, but apparently God came through on the various shopping experiences. There were floppy sun hats, baseball caps, bucket hats, cozy snug beanies to keep her head warm, and even a beret. But my favorite hat came from Hats of Hope. Inside the bill of the hat is the word "h o p e." And on the inside are several sayings, my favorite being "Sigh. Sob. Scream. Laugh. Repeat." It just sounds like something I would do!

It was a time for us to come together, for a time, and laugh at the ugly things in life while we go about trying to prettify them. I was a little worried that it would become a morbid thing (and I think my daughter thought that as well, as she is asking if we were just going to sit there and look at her open all the packages), but it wasn't. The guest of honor handled it with grace, and it was really a lot of fun. I would recommend it if you know someone going through treatment.



No comments: