Saturday, August 9, 2008

Anniversary Musings

We are back from our family vacation and I will blog more on this later, but I want to wish a very Happy Anniversary to my fabulous husband! So in honor of this truly auspicious occasion, I wrote a fairy tale.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I gave up on fairy tales. You know, the "happily ever after" part. Just when I was about to settle for, "will do for now" or "Mr. Okay" (the guy you might end up married to, but will turn into "married singles), I met a guy. Not just your ordinary average guy who tries too hard to come in and sweep you off your feet only to leave you realizing you should have kept your feet, or worse, a guy who tries too hard to be sooooo cool that you aren't sure if they are interested in you or a long lasting relationship with your television. No, this guy was definitely different.

This guy was seemingly, unbelievably (and I do mean unbelievably) innocent. No, it wasn't like he had no life experience...he had been married and divorced and had an eight year old daughter...he was just really simple and sweet. He went to the church I had recently joined. He was truly a good guy, and I thought he was too good to be true.

He declared his interest in a poem tucked inside a Christmas card. When I received it and read the poem, I immediately picked up the phone and called him. Did I tell him I thought he was as wonderful as he seemed? Did I profess my interest in him? No...I told him he was stupid. I know, I know, but it is part of the story.

To make a long tale short, he was persistent, and I firmly believe God was on his side. So, we said "I do" and we still are...11 years later and it is still happily ever after.

1 comment:

CurtissAnn said...

Congratulations to Sonja and Mike!!

Brings tears to my eyes, you do.