Friday, December 12, 2008

Thoughts on Solitude

I saw this elsewhere and I thought I would share this with you today.

MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

- Thomas Merton, "Thoughts in Solitude"

3 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, I just read in this book yesterday - it was great to be reminded of it again today. Thank you!

gavin richardson said...

the anniversary of thomas merton's passing was on the 10th. i love his book on solitude. i've tried to sketch like similar to the stuff he has, but i tend to be more cartoonish.. don't think anyone is going to make a book out of that.

Peter said...

Thanks for the post. Lately, the more I let go (I' not in control of the things that I thought I was) the more God fills the space. :-)