Thursday, January 8, 2009

More Thoughts on Israel/Palestine

I would recommend reading Adam Hamilton's blog, "Thoughts on the Gaza Strip." Adam's take on this is very factual and I thought you may enjoy reading it.

Adam questions why Hamas would launch generally ineffective missiles into Israel, knowing that Israel will retaliate over 100 fold? I question, why would Israel retaliate so disproportionately knowing that Gaza's larger allies are going to bring about attacks on their behalf? I don't think his response about a dream deferred pertains to Israel. So then, why?

I do agree with Adam that Jesus is the answer. In his post, he closes with:

One final thought: I continue to believe that Jesus offers the one answer, to both sides, in his Sermon on the Mount,

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also…You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

Some see in this weakness. I see in it the only hope for peace.

I think we should all hope for peace. I am really a pacificist, but I haven't answered for myself how pacifists should respond to obvious disregard of human life. I do not think that those who claim to practice "Just War" Theory, really believe in a just war. The just believe in war.

No comments: